Adoore's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Nov 06, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: never-to-read-again
Read from March 27 to 29, 2012 , read count: 1

Okay so with great pain and heart ache I will write my review and explain why the two stars. Sorry but after much thinking and much anger I realized this book is really a 1 star so I had to change my rating. I started reading this series maybe about a year and a half ago. When I start a series I look at the rules set up by the author and I buy into this world that is being shared with me.

Lover Reborn shattered everything that I believed about my beloved brotherhood. I know when I pick up this book it is considered and labeled a romance novel so their are certain things that are consistent. Especially when they are vampire romance novels. I love the brotherhood and I have accepted this belief of Bonded/Mated that is suppose to be especially strong with the brotherhood males. I felt this book shattered everything for me. I will break the book into sections my likes and dislikes.

<<<<<<<<(view spoiler)Dislikes:
Tohr/no'one/lassiter

Tohr you showed us how much you loved Wellsie then you turn around and take another woman while comparing them physically and to me at least it felt you were saying how much better the new one was. It seem all you wanted to think about were the difficult moments with Wellsie as if you you trying to find fault with her and your love for her. To me moving on does not mean getting rid of everything your significant other had so you won't remember them by. I almost wish you would also get rid of her dress also I am afraid you allow no'one to wear it (wow that brings tears to my eyes). Moving on doesn't have to mean falling in love with someone else and minimizing your love for the person you lived and loved for over 200 years.

no'one you were not worthy of a second chance and that you got it angers me so much. But I guess based on what Tohr has said and done through out the book he prefers a more submissive woman and that is what you are. You killed yourself the ultimate sin to most and you were allowed to return while Wellsie and and innocent baby did not get that chance. I really disliked the way you looked for Tohr and helped push him onto you. I hated how happy you got when you heard that Tohr was getting rid of all of Wellsie's belongings. I hated your presence in the Fade ceremony you had no right to be there.

Lassiter you were awful what kind of angel are you when you do not help the innocent victims but instead take away form them.

What I like:

The Band of Bastards I am interested in you. Assail I am very curious about you.

But other than that the book was emotional but it destroyed everything I believed in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

Quotes Adoore Liked

J.R. Ward
“God, I miss you,” he said in a voice that cracked. “Every night. Every day…”

J.R. Ward
“His thumb went back and forth over the satin, as if he were rubbing her hip as he had when they’d been together, and he moved his leg over so that it was on top of the skirting.
It wasn’t the same, though. There was no body underneath, and the fabric smelled like lemons, not her skin. And he was, after all, alone in this room that was not theirs.
“God, I miss you,” he said in a voice that cracked. “Every night. Every day…”

J.R. Ward
“I miss you.…” He stroked the indentation of the gown where her waist would have been—should have been. “I miss you so much.”
tags: thor

Comments (showing 1-19)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Letti i'm am so glad i'm not the only one that cannot stand No'One I refuse to name her anything else because that is what she is.... shame shame shame on Tohr and her

Adoore Thank you Letti I have been fighting with so many people about how I feel. I will never call by any other name.

Yes!!!! Shame, Shame, Shame on Tohr and her.

Letti welcome... I guess we are the few that don't adore this book... or her for that matter... Shoot i'm still pissed off

Adoore Letti thank you for the friend request. I don't think I will ever get over being pissed off and now people of the thread are talking about how good it would be if they had a baby I was like grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Letti what are you serious... i was sitting here thinking that No'One has been the walking dead over 250 plus years and then goes into needing i didn't know that dead ppl could get pregnant.. she's like a cat with never ending lives... and you know what really pissed me off was during the Fade Cermemony he was thinking of that stupid worthless women and then has the balls to think he never felt connected/closer to anyone even his Wellsie while her ashes are in front of him are you kidding me...

I don't know whatppl saw in this book besides the side stories but this is going to sound horrible but her world her rule = contradiction .i'm getting whiplash here so many of her characters have died or were going to die and came back is there a fine print i'm missing somewhere what makes you worthy enough to get a second chance and why didn't lassiter bring Wellsie back instead of No'One if he has that kind of pull it just doesn't make sense if you put rules in your world at least follow them it makes it less confussing, what i;m wondering is if Tohr did kill himself then he should of been able to go with Wellsie and she could of wrote this book about how life was in the fade...since No'one got a second chance why not him he is the nation's warrior shit call PTSD isn't that what he;s suffering from as well.. Gawd this book pissed me off i've been ranting and raving i actually ripped my book i swear, I tore out the whole Fade ceremony and No'One's and Tohr's part...

Cindi I couldn't agree more. Why should No'one get a second chance after what she did to herself? Wellsie deserved one way more than she did. I also agree with what you said about Tohr comparing the two women. That made me mad every time he did it. I never actually FELT any love between Tohr and No'one. It was like: bleh. Nothing. It was all about sex... Tohr using her for that and poor, pitiful No'one allowing him to (that was sarcasm). I could go on and on about what I disliked about this book but I'll stop. I definitely agree with your review.

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue Thanks for an honest review. I really disliked this book and the more I think about it, the more I dislike it.

It seems like all of the rules of the vampire world they live in are shot. I was really disgusted at the fact that Tohrment was actually blackmailed to "get over" Wellsie. There is a difference between moving on and forgetting. It seemed like this story focused on trying to get Tohr to forget Wellsie ever even existed. I wasn't so much irritated that he wanted to get rid of her things because that is a very integral part of moving on. I was just irritated more about how his "moving on" seemed to be so focused on having sex with another woman. It didn't work for me on many levels and this book actually ruined the entire series for me.

Adoore Letti wrote: "what are you serious... i was sitting here thinking that No'One has been the walking dead over 250 plus years and then goes into needing i didn't know that dead ppl could get pregnant.. she's like ..."

OMG!!! Letti I deleted the book from my nook and from my bookshelf on line and on my computer. I am still ranting I am so mad.

message 11: by Kelley (last edited Apr 08, 2012 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelley I kept getting angrier and angrier when I read the book. It's the first time I ever considered reselling a book because I just couldn't look at it.

My hope is that sometime in the future I can look back on this book with a little less venom. I remember feeling pretty mad about Vishous's book because I felt like V got the short end of the stick with a less than whole mate. Now, I really like Doc Jane and hardly remember that she is not really corporal. Maybe my feelings for No'One will soften too, but I will never like the book enough to re-read it.

And you are right, Lassiter is a crappy angel... a lazy self-involved angel too busy watching daytime TV to bother helping Tohr properly. I agree with you Sue, nothing like emotional blackmail to drag someone out of grieving.

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue Kelley,
I think that is the biggest part of why I didn't like the book. I know that moving on after a husband/wife/partner has died is important for healing and mental/emotional health. If I were married & a tragic accident were to befall me, I would want my spouse to move on and find love again.

That being said...

2 years in the human world is sometimes not enough for people to grieve and process their emotions and feel they are ready to move on and maybe have another relationship. Many times, people who do "move on" still don't feel ready to date or consider a relationship until many years after they have successfully "moved on" from their previous mate's death. And, some people never remarry or never feel the need to have another relationship. Nevermind the fact that Tohr and Wellsie had been together for TWO HUNDRED years. I think he should have been allowed time to work through his grief properly. I don't think 2 years was enough, and furthermore, people should have been understanding about it.

Moving on from something does not ever HAVE to entail a relationship or even sex. It simply means that the person has had time to work through their grief and come to an understanding with what happened, and learn to live their life in a new way.

In Lover Reborn, moving on for Tohr meant forgetting Wellsie and finding someone to replace her as quickly as possible. And, yes, it's obvious that the "moving on" didn't really have to do with Tohr and No'One having sex, BUT that was never said. Every time that discussion came up, Lassiter was just like "hop to it buddy." And Tohr always assumed it had to do with sexing up another woman. NO WONDER HE'S FUCKED UP!!

WHY didn't Mary come to talk to Tohr? Of course, he would have balked about talking out his feelings, but Mary is a psychologist. She could have sat him down and explained how people grieve and what to expect as he moved on to a new phase in his life.

I believe that Wellsie would want Tohr to find happiness again, whether it was an unbreakable bond, a new wife, or simply a dear friend. I DON'T think Wellsie would want to send a fallen angel to force Tohr to screw another woman as fast as possible. I think the entire situation was SO mishandled that it cheapened the book. It cheapened the relationship that we are supposed to believe Tohr developed with No'One, and it cheapened the bond we are supposed to believe Tohr had with Wellsie.

I mean, the whole basis for the book was just ignorantly handled. And it's insulting to the reader - could you imagine how insulting this book would be to someone who HAD actually lost a mate? I shudder to think.

message 9: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Jun 04, 2012 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I like your review although I'm personally bored by the BoB and think Assail is just another Rehv.

Adoore So true Sarah, Assail is just Rehv 2. We don't even know what is up with Rehv is he just at the BDB compound all the time. Does he help with fighting? I think the BoB is a whole new set of BDB brothers but I would of preferred new characters that followed what the first books had established. What happened to recruiting? What is going on with the training center? and why even suggest a Butch and V relationship and then not follow through. Just wondering. It seems that their are a lot of unresolved story lines.

From this book the only thing that interested me was Assail and the BoB but not to the point that I would be waiting for their book. They are just like meh now that I have had more time to let go of the book. I still do not like no'one and I am still unhappy about tohr replacing Wellsie.

message 7: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ (last edited Jun 04, 2012 11:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I just wonder why we get so many new characters, you know. The BoB as a threat to Payne were a bad joke, Xcor let her go after a two-minute talk. I also don't see how Assail could contribute something really new.

There are already so many characters who will or could get a book (Trez, iAm, Murhder, Lassiter, Havers) that I think she should have concentrated on them first instead of creating so many new storylines.

Btw, if any of them are related I'll freak. LOL

Adoore I am right there with you. I expected some conflict when the BoB had Payne but it was resolved so easily like it was meant to go somewhere but then their was a change. With Assail I totally agree with I do not know what he is bringing but I think their will be a relation with someone we already know.

We do need a book for Trez,iAm, Murhder will cause problems between John and Xhex, Lassiter I am not a huge fan it seem he knew about love because he had gone through it but was easy to forget about Tohr love for Wellsie by minimizing it. Yet he has been single for I believe long and we get that he lost a love.

I would love to read a story about Havers but are we going to get one. I was re-reading book one of BDB and I realized he wasn't even drinking from anyone and that he has probably been mourning his shellan and child for over 3 or 4 years interesting that Tohr was less when he said the brothers bonds tended to be stronger.

I have two questions and maybe you can share your input with me why is it that we know that John is Darius reincarnated but he and everyone else in the BDB universe will never know, what was the point? I don't even see him spending time with Beth which was the reason for his return.

Also I remember reading that either iAm or Trez's HEA was controversial. I wonder why.

I think you are going to have to start freaking out LOL!!!

message 5: by Jean (new) - rated it 1 star

Jean I agree with your review 100%. Why should No One get a 2nd chance but not Wellsie.. It is BS if you ask me.

message 4: by Jean (new) - rated it 1 star

Jean I do not see why Tohr had to find a new mate. He could have healed and returned to the Brothers without bonding to No One, aka, Autumn.

message 3: by Jean (new) - rated it 1 star

Jean And, I think John should gain his memory, why not? Its bad enough he cant frickin talk...

Adoore Not to mention what is the whole point of us the readers knowing he is Darius reborn. I mean really why tell us who he is but also tell us that he will never know who is was, what is the point of it?

I think Tohr needed to be on his own and come to grips with losing Wellsie. Havers which is not a brother hasn't moved on since his mate passed and we know that happened before the first book happened.

message 1: by Jean (new) - rated it 1 star

Jean You know.. I forgot all about Havers, that is so true.
Havers has been without his mate "way" longer than Tohr.
See, another example of the Ward rushing Tohr to "move on" with No One.
I received an email stating that the Ward would be asked several questions and it would be posted on the next Good Reads Newsletter. I hope my question is submitted to her. I asked about the Fade and how was it going to work out with Tohr's Two Mates =)
My question will probably be ignored.