shranicky's Reviews > Pink and Say

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

F_50x66
Nov 06, 11

Read in November, 2011

This picture book for older readers is such a good book. I absolutely LOVED it! It’s based on a true story of two young men from the Union army who meet after a battle during the Civil War. Say, the white boy, was wounded and Pink, the black man, carries him home to where his mother is surviving in ruins of a deserted plantation. Pink wants to rejoin his unit even though his mother does not want him to. Say, who was deserting when wounded, agrees because of the danger they are putting Pink’s mother in. Marauders end up killing Moe Moe Bay (Pink’s mother) while Pink and Say hide in the cellar. On their way to the front lines, Pink and Say are captured by confederates and taken to prison where Pink is hung. Say ends up surviving and is actually the author’s great-great grandfather. The first time I read this book, I cried so hard. It is absolutely heart breaking. I think it is definitely a good book for children to read though, especially to use with a history lesson. The illustrations in this book are also so beautiful. They take you to the story and you can imagine it so vividly in your head. They really add and help to tell the story. An absolute must read. I would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink and Say.