Barbara's Reviews > Mangaman

Nov 06, 11

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels, ncbla
Read in November, 2011

When Ryoko, an attractive young man with a blend of feminine and masculine features, falls through a rip in time and space and lands in our world, he is shunned by many of those he encounters. After all, he is truly an outsider in the high school pecking order because he is so very different. But he catches the eye of Marissa Montaigne, a popular, beautiful high schooler who is bored with her current life and her on again, off again relationship with a football player who spends more time drinking than studying. The romance between Ryoko and Marissa is reminscent of Romeo and Juliet, complete with scenes in which Ryoko leans from his window and talks about his attraction to her while she hides in the bushes beneath his compound and listens. What is especially cool is when he shows Marissa about the different dimensions, and she is able to move from one cartoon panel to the next. I also liked how Ryoko had to keep reminding himself to read from left to right and not right to left. However, the beginning of the story is a bit disorienting, becoming clearer as the story moves on. I felt at first, though, that I had picked up a book with the first 30 pages missing. The pen and ink illustrations are beautiful and show the inner and outer beauty of Ryoko and Marissa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mangaman.