SueM's Reviews > I Spy Something Bloody

I Spy Something Bloody by Josh Lanyon

4272088
Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: m-m, spy-assassin, lovers-friends-reunited, bingo-challenge, medical-doctors-nurses, ipad-kindle, age-difference
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

3.5 stars.
Despite loving Josh Lanyon's clear and understated style of writing, this is probably not one of my preferred novels. I often find Lanyon's novels too short to truly satisfy me, but generally it doesn't detract from the story. Unfortunately, in this particular novel, the lack of length did raise a few issues for me.

We are intoduced to the two main characters when Stephen receives a phone call from Mark, who is alone, in trouble and asking for help. From the conversation and from Mark's thoughts, it is clear that Stephen is not a happy man when it comes to Mark. The reason behind Stephen's reactions is hinted at during the conversation, but it is only as the novel unfolds do we finally get a few more details as to what had happened in the past concerning these two very different men.

It is really the lack of details, both behind the estrangement and a few other areas, that I find an issue. A conversation that had taken place 4 months before the current story takes place seems to be a key turning point in their relationship, and while each character mentions segments of what was said, nothing is truly clear, leaving the reader somewhat confused. I also noticed at least a couple plot threads that seemed to be key to past and present circumstances yet they were left unresolved. As it happens, I am aware of at least one other stand alone novel in this series (I Spy Something Wicked) as well as a couple of even shorter stories available as part of a collection, where I suspect some of these issues are solved.

(view spoiler)

So in conclusion, even knowing that there were/are further novels in this series, the lack of details did detract from the story for me. I admit, this is probably not a problem for many readers, (and in Lanyon's other series it wasn't the case), but for some reason these really stood out for me this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Spy Something Bloody.