Vicki's Reviews > Prized

Prized by Caragh M. O'Brien

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, end-of-the-world, sci-fi, young-adult-books
Read in November, 2011

I really really loved Birthmarked -- I had to order a second copy for our collection, because I was always recommending it (especially when all of the Hunger Games books were checked out, which is more or less all the time). Both books in this series have enough of their own thing going on without making me feel like they're just a regurgitation of The Giver, The Hunger Games, or whatever book the author read so many times they started to feel like the ideas were their own. I feel like it's the same with Prized -- it's got its own thing going on.

Gaia finds herself in a new society and must adapt. This society is just as unfair as the last one, but she happens to be on top this time. That's a fine line to walk -- when you've been at the bottom of the heap your whole existence, do you just go with the flow when you're finally in the preferred class? Things are pretty messed up in this new society -- it presents really interesting questions about gender, both genetic and instinctual. And questions about power, too.

I feel like the plot goes in a way that works, too. Yeah, maybe Gaia gets a little caught up in the romance thing. Maybe there are a few anachronisms ("freaking out", for example -- although these people would be our great grandchildren many times over, so I guess they ought to be using slang in a way we just can't understand). But it all works. Can't wait for book 3! (And I hardly ever say that.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prized.