Lily's Reviews > The Replacement

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: signed-books
Read on November 06, 2011

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

I was really excited to finally read this book, I had heard so much good buzz about it over the past year that I was anxious to find out what all the fuss was about. For me, sadly I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something on the level of some of my favorites, but sadly I found it to be average.
That's not to say it was bad, it wasn't the writing was great and I enjoyed the creep factor that Yovanoff portrayed in her book and her characters were well thought out.

I did though think there was a lot of this book that could have been left out, there were times when it felt like it was dragging along at a slower rate, even though I read this in a day.

I want to know more about the why of the House of Mayhem, I don't feel like enough information was given.

However, I will read Yovanoff's next book it sounds really interesting, if you like paranormal books or books about Changelings, pick this one up and give it a try.

* Reading level: Ages 12 and up
* Paperback: 352 pages
* Publisher: Razorbill (September 6, 2011)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1595143815
* Author: Brenna Yovannoff
* Cover art: Very creepy
* Overallrating: *** out of 5 stars
* Obtained: My personal book shelf
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

Rawrness I loved this book!