Jeanne's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: favorites, humour, sports
Read in May, 2012

Henry Skrimshander, a shortstop who models himself after Aparicio Rodriguez (and reads his guidebook “The Art of Fielding”) is discovered by Mike Schwartz, captain of The Harpooners, Westish College’s baseball team. Mike convinces Henry to come to Westish to play baseball, and the two of them, along with Henry’s roommate Owen Dunne (the Buddha—he’s really more interested in philosophy than baseball) become fast friends as well as solid baseball players. The Harpooners seem destined to have the best season they’ve ever had.

Into this mix is added gentle, erudite Guert Affenlight, College president and Herman Melville fan, and Guert’s daughter Pella, who is escaping from a brief, disastrous marriage, and we watch and hope for the best as ties form, break and mesh among these five unique and wonderful characters.

I absolutely adored this book. I heard Harbach read in Toronto last year and that convinced me that this was a book I had to read. I was not disappointed!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Smith Totally agree, Jeanne. A fabulous, moving, empathetic read. I hope those who don't like baseball will pick this book up because the game is just a small, if symbolic, part in the plethora of wonderful aspects that make this book so amazing. I understand he berates himself for taking so long (ten years?) to write it, but it's an astounding feat no matter how long it took.

Jeanne Andrew wrote: "Totally agree, Jeanne. A fabulous, moving, empathetic read. I hope those who don't like baseball will pick this book up because the game is just a small, if symbolic, part in the plethora of wonder..."
Oh, I hope many people read this, regardless of the baseball theme. Completely wonderful and mesmerizing. Thankfully, it's getting good press so that will help. Hope his next book doesn't take as long!