Mara's Reviews > The Springsweet

The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: books-to-buy, historical-fantasy, paranormal, romance, 3-stars
Read from May 21 to 23, 2012, read count: 1

I did not have high hopes for this book. "The Vespertine" didn’t need a sequel, and all I anticipated was a complete disaster. I was wrong, and as much as I dislike to admit when I am wrong in general, I’m always relieved to say that when it comes to books (unless, of course, I anticipated the book to be good, and then it was turned out to be bad). The Author was clever when she wrote The Springsweet. It doesn’t follow the “continued” adventures of "The Vespertine’s" heroine, Amelia, but rather follows Zora’s life after the tragic events of the previous summer. I would, of course, encourage people to read The Vespertine before picking this one up, so Readers can understand how Zora came to be the way she is, and The Springsweet also ends with more than a hint towards the third book connecting back to Amelia’s life.

In many ways, I liked Book Two better. Emerson was easier to like than Nathanial. Emerson never struck me as untrustworthy, unlike Nathanial, who just seemed a little bit creepy. Zora is every bit as good of a narrator as Amelia, and considering the loss of her fiance, it is easy to sympathize with her, especially when Zora discovers her own magical abilities and begins to understand what Amelia went through herself. My main complaint about characters concerns Theo. I wanted very badly for him to be a villain. From the beginning, I was suspicious of him and the Author had a perfect setup for him to become the book’s antagonist. But it was wishful thinking and thus the book has a shocking lack of bad guys. The one character that causes some problems, Royal, isn’t in the book enough to really count.

The writing itself is just as good and beautiful as in "The Vespertine." The Author has great talent when it comes to weaving clear pictures of scenery, characters, and costume. But I wish she hadn’t had Zora so focused on Emerson’s muscles and handsomeness. I’m perfectly okay if a heroine wants to mention, once or twice, that another character is handsome and strong. But not constantly, and certainly not every bloody time she sees him without his shirt, or when it is raining. It just makes the heroine seem shallow.

Apart from that, however, I liked "The Springsweet," and I am looking forward to Book Three!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Springsweet.

05/23/2012 page 114
41.0% "I at first didn't like the idea of a sequel to "The Vespertine," but since this is actually a different character's story, I'm OK with it."
05/23/2012 page 202
73.0% "Like Emerson, still maintain that there's something slightly sinister about Theo (but I suspect that that's wishful thinking), and I like Zora for the most part, though I'm getting tired of her always talking about how "beautiful" Emerson is."
05/23/2012 page 275
100.0% "Shocking lack of villains, but I do look forward to the sequel."