Julia's Reviews > Article 5

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from November 27, 2011 to January 07, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons took my breath away- it is absolutely captivating. This book kept me up all night. It's hold-your-breath intense and my favorite book so far this year. Fan of dystopia or not, this is a must read. Dystopian junkies? Rejoice because we've got another book to obsess over.

Ember, our heroine, is a wonderfully vibrant character. And what I love most about her, is that she made me want to hug her one minute and slap her the next. Her decisions can be incredibly frustrating, but it only makes her character seem more pragmatic. It tends to feel trite and a bit annoying as Ember can't stop going on about her mother being arrested and continues to be naive to the somewhat predictable outcome of the situation with her mom. Though this isn't really a complaint, all these flaws made Ember seem so damn real. And her mother is a large part of the plot, so it makes sense that she harps on it. It's also sweet to think that her mother motivates her to keep going.

And then there is Chase. Oh, Chase. Ember's counterpart. Mysterious and dreamy. The decisions she makes that have to do with Chase sometimes made me want to strangle her... In a good way, of course. And not only does Ember's character grow and change throughout the novel, but so does her relationship with Chase. It is absolutely enchanting to watch the young couple overcome the obstacles thrown at them and to learn to trust each other once again.

The world Simmons created is thrilling, intense and captivating- an emotional roller coaster. Though it may be your typical dystopian, the characters suck you into their story, and before you know it a few hours have passed and you're finished reading. And you're craving more. So if you're sick of dystopia, pass this one up, but if you're not run to your nearest bookstore and grab this book. I highly recommend it, a m a z i n g!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Article 5.