Jamie's Reviews > Perelandra

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

U_50x66
Nov 06, 11

Read in September, 2011

I have contemplated setting an alarm on my google calendar for next year to remind me to reread this book. It is, by far, the best book I have read in ages. The plot centers around a voyage and adventure in Venus, but is rather more like a discussion in Plato's dialogues than a traditional story. Furthermore, it is not the extraterrestrial landscape of the book that drew me from my own world (or mindset) to another, but rather the "alien" view of my own thoughts and practices. This is also what makes the book worth rereading. Here is a quote from page 69, and will not give too much plot away, but hits on the main theme of the book:
Lady: One goes into the forest to pick food and already the thought of one fruit rather than another has grown up in one's mind. Then, it may be, one finds a different fruit and not the fruit one thought of. one joy was expected and another is given. But this I had never noticed before - that the very moment of the finding there is in the mind a kind of thrusting back, or setting aside. The picture of the fruit you have *not* found is still, for a moment, before you. And if you wished - if it were possible to wish - you could keep it there. You could send your soul after the good you had expected, instead of turning it to the good you had got. You could refuse the real good; you could make the real fruit taste insipid by thinking of the other.

I highly recommend this book for your evenings and for your life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perelandra.