Malin Friess's Reviews > The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit

The Dip by Seth Godin

Nov 06, 2011

When do you quit? When do you stick?

Seth Godin would say that winners never quit...and quitters never win is the worst advice ever given. Goden urges us to quit the wrong stuff...and stick with the right stuff.

The Dip is the long slog between starting and mastery (like when your fingers have calluses from pressing on acoustic guitar strings). The dip is the difference between beginners luck and accomplishment. Goden points to how many students are pre-med...until the dip (Organic Chemistry)...and then many find a new major. Quitting during the dip is the worst time...you have put in all the effort--and the reward may just be around the corner. But if a job is more like a cult-de-sac where you work and things never get better...quit!

Don't think quitting is the same as failing. Steve Jobs quit Reed College. Michael Crighton gave up medicine after going to Harvard Medical School. Zuckerburg quit Harvard. But make sure you are quitting for the right reasons..and not panicking. And of course...most of us don't have the innate intelligence and crativity of a Gates, or Jobs.

I figure in my life I made a few good decisions...I quit acting quickly (it was a cul-de-sac profession for me). I also quit dish-washing...even though I was quite talented. I think I made it through the dip with running...no-one quits a marathon at mile 25.

When have you quit...and when have you stuck it out? This book (only 60 pages) may help you out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dip.