Mara's Reviews > Mira, Mirror

Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: fairytale-retelling
Read in August, 2010, read count: 1

Mira, Mirror wasn't as good as I was anticipating. I expected a comedy, but it is actually pretty dark. It took me a little while to get used to it, and in the end I cannot entirely say that I liked it. Mira is very hard to like. The Reader isn't given much of an opportunity in the beginning to "connect" with Mira before she is turned into a mirror, and therefore it is hard to appreciate and sympathize her new hardened personality that is almost as uncaring as her sister's.

But the story isn't really about Mira. It is more about the two girls - Ivana and Talia - whom Mira more or less inadvertently unites. Ivana, at first, got a little on my nerves, though I think it was mostly because I was already tired of Mira and took some of that frustration out on Ivana. I felt bad about it later. But Talia is completely likable, and though a little foolish in some of her choices, she quickly learns her lessons and moves on.

The ending was a great disappointment. It felt like it was lacking. If Mette Ivie Harrison had included an epilogue, I would have been satisfied. But the way it ended left questions. What happens to Mira now; to the Duke and Ivana? Does Talia convince her father that her plans for the future are good ones? None of that is answered, and I was very disappointed, because the book really does keep the Reader in suspense.

Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison, while mostly an interesting and enjoyable read, won't be added to my collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mira, Mirror.