Patrick's Reviews > The Children of Men

The Children of Men by P.D. James

Jun 05, 08

I'm a sucker for apocalypse novels, so maybe I'm not the most objective reviewer, but this one rocked me. It's a beautifully written, very cleverly constructed novel of ideas that also features a well-developed main character. James is writing about alienation and estrangement (personal, political, social), but she also offers a really thoughtful, really interesting exploration of political responsibility in the face of tyranny. One star gets deducted from what would otherwise be a five-star review on account of James being a baroness and a "life peer" in the House of Lords--I don't make the rules punishing poshness, but you may count on me to enforce them.

The movie, which I saw first, also kicks ass: Alfonso Cuarón (who directed Y Tu Mama Tambien) takes a minor theme in the book (the plight of immigrants, illegal and otherwise, in on-the-cusp-of-apocalypse England) and goes to town with it, with obvious political implications for modern America (and modern England, come to think of it). It's worth seeing, even if the thought of watching Julianne Moore starring in a "very serious movie" unnerves you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Men.