Rene's Reviews > The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove

The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Nov 06, 2011

Read from November 06 to 07, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. Set back in the South during the 1960's it follows the life of a pecuilar girl named Bezellia. Her Dad is a Doctor who is distant and rarely home and her Mom is an alcoholic who volunteers all her time to uphold her important Family name and plays bridge at the Country Club. Bezellia feels closer to her Black house servants Maizelle and Nathaniel than with her own parents. At the ripe age of 14 she meets Nathaniel's young son and develops a passion for him like no other. She soon finds out that a relationship with him in any way shape or form is highly improper. I wish there was more to this book, it was far too short with under 300 pages. It might be a good book for students studying social classes and the civil rights movement. A lot of people have compared this book to The Help. Although, I love that book as well, they really are two different books that should not be compared to one another. Both authors have a wonderful style of writing that strings you along through heart felt fiction based on historical events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove.