Jeremy's Reviews > Decoded

Decoded by Jay-Z

M_50x66
Nov 06, 11

Decoded is a truly unique book. The history of rap is told from the man who saw how and why it began, watched as it grew, and helped heighten it into what it has become today. He explained the origins of rap. It cleared up the misconceptions I had about it, and made me think about the music I listen to. Some of Jay-Z's stories are about the lower class, the citizens who live in the most dangerous places in America (the inner city), and the ones who deal with corrupt law enforcement. While his diction may be suggestive, the meaning behind all of it is potent. In the book, he analyzes his songs, and explains the meaning of his lyrics. He also talks about his personal history. Sean Carter, a sixteen year old drug dealer from Marcy, grew up to be the successful business man and one of the most respectable MC's of all time: Jay-Z. But not everything was perfect for him once he reached fame and fortune. He saw and experienced the bad, even horrific events surrounding rap, including the murder of Tupac and his fellow MC and close friend, "The Notorious B.I.G." Police followed him around everywhere, waiting for him to commit a crime. Criticism and ridicule engulfed his career. He addresses other issues and events as well, such as 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the Bush era, and Barack Obama's election. This book truly does decode everything that I was once unsure of regarding rap and its history. Great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decoded.