Lisa's Reviews > Harvesting the Heart

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult

Nov 06, 11

Read in November, 2011

This book was compulsively readable, like most of Jodi Picoult's novels, but I grew frustrated with the main characters. "Harvesting the Heart" involves post-partum depression and the challenges of motherhood. The main character, Paige, was abandoned by her mother at age 5, had an abortion at age 18, and worries about whether she can ever become a good mother. She nearly falls apart when she finally becomes one. I am not a mother, so I do not understand the challenges of raising a child, but I could relate to Paige's fear of completely losing herself. I think every woman fears losing her identity to her husband and children.

Things I didn't like: Nick's stubbornness was infuriating, and his parents' characters could have been better developed. I also felt that the character Patrick O'Toole, Paige's father, was too much of a caricature and should have been a bigger part of the novel. Quite frankly, I just felt sorry for him. And Paige's mom was...awful.

This is not my favorite Picoult novel, but it is definitely engrossing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvesting the Heart.