Jake Keyel's Reviews > The Revolution: A Manifesto

The Revolution by Ron Paul

819838
Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: books, non-fiction, ir-political-science, kindle
Read from November 06 to 07, 2011

Superficial. Shallow. Lacking substance. Poorly argued. That's how I would describe this book. While I agree with some of the ideas in this book, almost none of them are Ron Paul's. It seems like half of the text is quotes from other people. I keep wondering, where are Ron Paul's own ideas? Where are his arguments?

Furthermore, Paul doesn't go into depth on any issue. He merely mentions an issue and what he thinks, without developing an argument. To give an example, at one point Paul says, "I have always had a deep personal admiration for Ludwig von Mises..." He then goes on to give a cursory timeline of von Mises life. It's great that Paul admires this economist, but he fails to explain, even a little, what theories of von Mises' that he likes and how these theories would benefit the current economic situation.

If you're interested in understanding the arguments for libertarian government, I wouldn't recommend this book. It's not worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revolution.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki surprised?

message 2: by Jake (new) - rated it 1 star

Jake Keyel Not particularly. I actually agree with a lot of Paul's statements (I can't call it analysis), but he just doesn't go into enough depth. Maybe I've become a snob, but I haven't been impressed by a non-fiction/political sciencey book in a while. Politicians don't make the best writers, and are definitely not necessarily academics.

Portugalthedan I agree with you on the speed at which he passes through subjects. But I think it was intended as an outline for his general policy. Some of his other books with more focused titles go into greater detail with said subject. Just my two cents.