Anna's Reviews > The Glass of Time

The Glass of Time by Michael Cox

Jan 10, 15

bookshelves: 5-stars, read-in-2012, historical-fiction, victoriana, family-saga, chunkster
Read from January 31 to February 06, 2012

I don’t give out five stars easily, but I was completely entranced by this book. The quality of the storytelling drew me in immediately, and the intriguing plot kept me turning the pages long into the night.

It’s hard to describe the story without giving away any of its many secrets. It’s set in 1876, and although it was written only recently, it’s presented in the writing style of a Victoriana mystery, a mood the author captures perfectly. Esperanza is sent by her guardian, Madame, to be a lady’s-maid to the highly strung Lady Tansor. Madame tells Esperanza that in this new role, she is to undertake a 'Great Task' which will right a wrong in which she has a vested interest. She then slowly begins to reveal the details of this task and all the long-held secrets it encompasses; some of them are guessable, others are not, and even when it's fully revealed, there are still more secrets lurking in the shadows.

The book is intricately woven with beautifully crafted twists. It explores love, lies and betrayal, and the repercussions which linger on in the conscience and reach down to the next generation; I was swept up in all its dark deliciousness!

ETA: This is a sequel to The Meaning of Night; I haven't read that, showing that The Glass of Time can be read as stand-alone. A word of warning through: looking through the blurb and reviews of The Meaning of Night, it seems that the same secrets are told in each book but from two generations' points of view, so be careful not to read the reviews for either book too closely as some of them give away the secrets to the other.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass of Time.

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Another of my GR friends gave this one 4 stars - looking forward to seeing what you think. It looks tempting.

Anna Yeah, it seems to have a little bit of everything in it, so fingers crossed.....

message 3: by Anna (last edited Feb 01, 2012 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hannah, I'm only a quarter of the way in, but so far I'm loving it, and think it will be right up your street too. It's dark, mysterious and downright intriguing!

message 4: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Anna wrote: "Hannah, I'm only a quarter of the way in, but so far I'm loving it, and think it will be right up your street too. It's dark, mysterious and downright intriguing!"

Really? Squeee!

message 5: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Kerry-green Sounds very intriguing, think I'll have to add this to my to read pile. Looking forward to your review Anna.

Anna Yeah, I think you'll really like it too, Carol. I see you gave The Woman in White five stars, and it has a smilar vibe to that.

Anna Hannah and Carol, if you plan on reading this, do not read the blurb to the other book by Michael Cox, The Meaning of Night, as it gives away a couple of the secrets to The Glass of Time.

message 8: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Yea! Glad it was a good one. I'll track it down one of these days.

Thanks.

message 9: by Orsolya (new) - added it

Orsolya I just saw this at Barnes & Noble last night and was intriqued. Have you read The Meaning of Night? It looks like this is second in a series and that is first...

message 10: by Anna (last edited Aug 31, 2012 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna No, when I read this, I didn't know it was #2. However, I'm glad I came to #2 'clean' as the secrets from #1 are slowly revealed again in #2, but through a different generation.

Had I read #1, #2 would have lost some of its enigmatic pull, and in turn, if I went on to read #1 now, #2 will have minimised its impact. For me this is a one book series, but take your pick as to which one. Does any of that make sense?!

If you chose to read either or both of them, be very careful around reviews, as they each give away the secrets of the other.

message 11: by Orsolya (new) - added it

Orsolya Most of the reviews seem to say that it is okay to not read #1 and this this book stands well-enough on its own merit. This one interests me more than the first one so I think I will just stick to this. Plus your review was glowing :)

message 12: by Anna (last edited Aug 31, 2012 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I agree, you don't have to know anything about #1 to read #2; I didn't, and it just made the secrets more tantalising.

I read the reviews for #1 after I read #2, and was glad I accidently stumbled across #2 first, as like you, #2 appealed more to me.

Really hope you enjoy #2 after my 'glowing' review! Think this is one of only three 5 star ratings I've given this year.

message 13: by Orsolya (new) - added it

Orsolya It must be great then! My library has it so maybe I will grab it soon :)

message 14: by Jackleen (new) - added it

Jackleen Sounds very interesting. Especially given the 5 star rating. Thank you, Anna.

message 15: by Cleo (new)

Cleo Bannister Thanks for the recommendation Anna - it looks perfect for me :-)

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Really hope you enjoy it; with our tastes being so similar, I think it should be right up your street. Fingers crossed!