Joseph's Reviews > Manhunter, Vol. 3: Origins

Manhunter, Vol. 3 by Marc Andreyko

May 28, 2008

bookshelves: graphic-novel, fiction
Read on May 14, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Although I thought this was a bit of a letdown, it actually wasn't that bad. It was nice to get a little bit of background on the makeup of Kate's equipment, but on the other hand, a lot more could have been done with that. And I enjoyed the story with Kate's father. It's nice that they didn't shy away from letting her be enough of a badass to kill him without having it be a huge emotional ordeal. Even the "One Year Later" stuff was handled reasonably well. I like having Kate switch from being a prosecutor to a defense attorney; the conflict between her day and night jobs should set up some interesting drama.

Still, I'm skeptical. I can't really put my finger on why, but I think I'm just afraid about the whole tendency to wrap every character into the DC family. Why does Kate have to turn out to be descended from a previous hero? And I could have done without the whole "I love the law" speech. The thing I've most enjoyed about Manhunter is that her motivations haven't come straight out of the superhero handbook. I like to think that she broke into that weapons locker for no better reason than that she was pissed off.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhunter, Vol. 3.