pax's Reviews > Петербургские повести

Петербургские повести by Nikolai Gogol

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011, classics, lit-russia-su, own-russian, short-fiction
Read from November 06 to 13, 2011

So my dislike for Gogol was not just a youthful ignorance - I do indeed not like his work. I'm always tempted to compare with Chekhov, my all time favourite when it comes to Russian classics, and Gogol's stories lose in every possible regard: less funny, less touching, less exact, less special. It might not be a fair comparison, given how Chekhov came so much later, but still: Gogol's stories are neither funny nor really tragic, but leave me somehow terribly indifferent. And what is worse than this?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Петербургские повести.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria I guess Gogol's satire tends to fade as it loses its social relevance. Have you read Вий? It's his only work I can actually claim to enjoy.

message 2: by pax (new) - rated it 1 star

pax I'm not sure that it is about losing social relevance; I usually have no problem with even older / more outdated classics. It's more about me not being able to handle his style.

I've not read Вий yet - there is still "Dead Souls" waiting on my shelf. But not now ;)

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria pax wrote: "I'm not sure that it is about losing social relevance; I usually have no problem with even older / more outdated classics. It's more about me not being able to handle his style.

I've not read Вий ..."

No, don't! You'll die of boredom. And I'm not talking of a peaceful, painless death here.