1000 +'s Reviews > Paved with Good Intentions

Paved with Good Intentions by Keith B. Darrell

Apr 20, 12

Read from November 12 to 21, 2011

This book was different than most books out on the Market. Not because of content but because of writing style. It's written in almost TV like 'episodes' that carried the story through the book. This replaced the use of the normal 'chapters'. Anything different than normal takes a bit of getting used to and it was stylistically a big change, for me, to get used to. It was like reading a play or script.

From the start I had trouble getting into the book. Beyond the above 'episodes' there was, within the opening few pages, a character flaw that had me have trouble believing this make believe story. The 'naive' angel Gabriel was how he was described in the summary on the back of the book. This 'naive' angel has sex within the first episode. It troubled me. Here's this angel that is supposed to be on Earth representing God against the Devil in this test.. and this angel within his first day there.. the first test thrown at him is having sex. Surely Gabriel knew better!

After getting through that first bit of trouble the book did start to get better about 120/130 pages in. Gabriel and Lucifer join together and become PI's in Vegas. I loved the name change for Lucifer. Lou Cypher had me laughing out loud. Their journey together being PI's was comical and entertaining. The cast of characters grows to include everything from Angels and Devils to Witches, Warlocks, Vampires and Gangsters.

By the end of the book I did enjoy it and was even pondering purchasing the second book in this series. I did not end up doing so. I wasn't sure that I enjoyed it enough to do so. It wasn't a book that kept me up at night or even one that made me want to read it whenever I could. It was entertaining but it didn't grab me enough and I decided that I would not be following the Halo & Horns series.

If you are into a light read that has moments of pure comedy, check this one out.

Melissa
Reviewer for 1000 + Books to Read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paved with Good Intentions.

11/13/2011 page 69
21.0% "different."
11/13/2011 page 75
23.0% "Hmmm.. Haven't really gotten into this book."
11/13/2011 page 125
38.0% "getting.. a bit.. better"
11/15/2011 page 267
80.0% "Angels, Demons, Witches, Vampires, Gangsters, Shaman... all thats missing is some Fae and Weres."
11/16/2011 page 332
100.0% "To buy Book 2 or not.. Im confused on if I enjoyed it enough to merit getting the second."