Cathy 's Reviews > Mind Over Monsters

Mind Over Monsters by Jennifer Harlow

Nov 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, read-in-2012, psychics-telepathy, fantasy, romance, werewolf, vampire, urban, zombies-ghouls
Read from February 20 to 21, 2012

It was cute. It was really more of a 2.5 star book because of all of the eye-rolling I had to do, but the series has potential and the narrative had a nice, smooth style. I like that the author is a fan of Jennifer Crusie and Sue Grafton but she didn't do such a good job of imitating either. The humor wasn't so bad, but the mystery was pathetic. Really awful, it made them all look just stupid. And the romance and the agent work suffered from the same issue - suddenly this ordinary and relatable woman is perfect. All of her life she's been the awkward, overweight, out-of-shape, plain-Jane outsider. We like her because she likes the things we like: reading, cake, movies, TV, whatever. She's supposed to be us. Now suddenly she's a hotshot agent who is fearless under pressure, does all sorts of physical things that are just ridiculous (her arms would fall off after swinging that machete a few times) and is planning a mission after two days on the job when everyone else, including the teenager, has at least three more years experience than she has and she barely even knows what the others are capable of. And instantly she's irresistible to the stunning guy who usually rejects everyone and to the other stunning guy who nornally uses everyone. And at the end one of the guys declare that she's a goddess! She has more compassion, is braver, and has more strength of character than anyone he has ever known. It's just too much.

And why did the small town with barely any stores have a butcher shop, who has butcher shops anymore?

I like a fantasy but I prefer more touchstone to reality thrown in there. Other than having a temper and occasional frizzy hair, Bea is just too perfect, the guys are too perfect, and the story wasn't nearly perfect enough. But... it has heart. I still liked Bea, I liked her compassion for the girl. I don't know. It has potential. I known the romance stuff is partly a matter of taste, a lot of people like these instant attraction stories with perfect guys, I just prefer stories where the romance develops over a time frame that feels more realistic and guys who have more quirks and depth. But the guys do have potential, they aren't caricatures. And I like the rest of the team. And the author's writing style is engaging. I'll give the next book a try and hope for a better, smarter mystery and more realistic character development.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind Over Monsters.