Jennifer's Reviews > Hansel and Gretel

F 50x66
Nov 05, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2011

“Hansel and Gretel” by Beni Monstresor is one of the many versions of Hansel and Gretel by Brothers Grimm. It is a story of a Hansel and Gretel that went into to the woods to find food to bring home. The Hansel and Gretel never returned home and their parents were worried because there are dangerous things in the woods, one of them being a witch that eats children. Hansel and Gretel tricked by the witch who eats children and was held captive until Gretel grab ahold of the witch’s wand and threw her into the fire. Hansel and Gretel released all the other children that were help as prisoners and it was said that they “lived happily ever after”.

I’ve heard this story many times as a child and recall having picture books being read to me but not the same book by Beni Monstresor. When you first look at the cover, the characters of the book are all one color with no details just black space, blue space, and white space with a red background. You can see the outline of each of them and this is consistent throughout the whole story. I noticed that the only character that does have eyes is the witch that eats children. I also noticed that Hansel and Gretel are white throughout the whole story. They are the only white space characters in the story whereas the other characters are blue, green, or red. It gave me a more of an imagination when there isn’t any specific detail to the characters. I guess it also show cases that the story is simple, so the characters can be simple as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hansel and Gretel.