Arren's Reviews > Home School

Home School by Charles Webb

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: mine
Read from November 05 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

I bought my copy of the Home School at a nearby thrift store for books, even though I am yet to have a copy of The Graduate book.

Home School was basically how Elaine and Benjamin would go lengths just to stand by their decision to have their children home schooled, even going ridiculous ways, ie. having Mrs. Robinson, now Nan, do the things she was well, great in, ie. seduction. Who can forget the epic line, “Are you seducing me, Mrs. Robinson?”

It was well, short. Really short, even. Had I not been a wee bit busy and had I have the normal attention span, I might have finished it in just a day. It really felt like just right for another movie, with no scene that had to be cut. This makes my dire need to have a copy of The Graduate even more.

Contrary to its prequel, Home School was deprived of Mrs. Robinson’s (in)famous sultriness and seduction, with just one or two escapades. She was still as crazy as she was, but tamed and more grandmother-like, which of course, she ought to be. Mrs. Robinson was as still a biting character, her witty remarks coupled with her being grandmother-y made her almost endearing, but I have to admit that I miss the old Mrs. Robinson. Her evil, wicked plans put a different spice to The Graduate, while she was a bit boring in Home School.

Probably the age, though. Of course, it might be ridiculous and disturbing to have her still with insatiable craving for sex, but you know, she’s Mrs. Robinson.

Good thing Webb managed to revive the lovable Benjamin. (I seriously resist the urge to put a <3 every after his name.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home School.

11/05/2011 page 15