Sharon Griffitts's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

F_50x66
Jan 17, 12

Read from November 05 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Long curious about what made Jobs tick and how could he come up with all these wonderful devices, I was excited when his official biography was announced. I downloaded it, appropriately enough, to my iPad shortly after his death.
As much as I admire his accomplishments, I am not sure that I would have liked him personally. He was egocentric and very focused on whatever project was at hand to the detriment of his personal relationships. Yet, in spite of his harsh words (That's shit!), his employees admired him and worked that much harder to do the impossible. He was a perfectionist, refusing to settle for "good enough" and sometimes throwing out a nearly completed design to start over. We are the beneficiaries of that perfectionism and his vision.
He said, early in his career, that he wanted to build a company that would outlive him, yet was a little miffed when it ran well without him during his medical absence.
I believe he accomplished his goal by hiring people who thought and acted like him, or who came to believe in his ideology.
Jobs was determined or should I say stubborn, to his own detriment in matters of health. As a physician, I believe he could have survived his cancer had he followed medical advice sooner. He delayed initial treatment when his physicians, family, friends and even Dr. Andrew Weill urged him to do so. Maybe it would not have mattered, but I wish Jobs were still alive and well and thinking up new ideas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.