Natalie's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

Nov 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

I decided to take this book on after meeting Ron Rash in early October during Shepherd University's Appalachian Heritage Festival. I traveled to Martinsburg High School with Rash and witnessed an amazing spectacle: high school students, excited about reading, full of questions, then making a line out the door to have a book signed. A real, honest to goodness book. And even more impressive, I witnessed Rash handling these questions. He went toe-to-toe with these kids for nearly two hours--and they would have kept going. It was amazing. I enjoyed the book (well, I listened to it in the car), but the real take away here was that trip to the high school. I'll always admire Rash for being able to pull that off.

My one complaint has nothing to do with the writing. As I said above, I listened to this book in my car. The audio book is kind of terrible. The reader was a man, which wouldn't necessarily have been a problem, except for the fact that he read all of the women's dialog in these high, strange voices. Serena's wasn't great, but poor Rachel. I could only picture a man wearing a shabby dress, hair all piled up on his head, trying to figure out how to raise a baby. I don't know who thought having this actor read like that was a good idea, but let me tell you, it was not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Browning White Good review! I love his work, too. Looking forward to reading this one!

Natalie He's a really great guy, Rhonda, and super smart about writing. I feel really lucky to have met him.