Lori Holbein-Gutierrez's Reviews > You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys

You Hear Me? by Betsy Franco

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: diversity, young-adult, poetry

Summary:

This is a book that contains several poems written by teenage boys. These boys all come from diverse backgrounds and around the United States. These young men all seem to have a strong voice and write from a honest place from within them. The prose and poetry included in this books seem to cover so many emotions that teenage boys face today. Topics like homosexuality, love, neglect, coming of age, loss, pride, drugs, death, racism, and social class are all found in this compelling book. The reader will find themselves going on an emotional journey with these teenage boys.

Personal Reaction:

I personally as a mother of two boys found this book to be such an honest and real book about the challenges and joys teenage boys face today. I think it is a great eye opener to youth who may be a little more privileged or ungrateful for what they have or their outlook on their life. This is a book for me to hold onto and hand to my boys when they get older. After each poem, I found myself reflecting on what was written. Some of them left me puzzled. There were a few that I was amazed the writer was only 15! My favorite poem was the first one "Time Somebody Told Me", it almost brought me to tears..so powerful. There were two entries ("The Torch" and "Satisfaction of an Orange") that if it were up to me, would not be in the book. I found them to be extremely offensive and not something I would want my teenage boys to read. But, I guess 2 out of 73 isn't bad.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Hear Me?.