Michelle's Reviews > The Zookeeper's Wife

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman

May 28, 08

bookshelves: book-club
Read in May, 2008

It took me a while to get into this book...I'm not sure why, if it was the author's style, if it was me feeling burned out on books at the moment, but when I did get into it, wow, I read through it. From reading the description on the jacket, I thought the book would focus more on the people living in hiding with the Zabinski family; we would really get to know the people, see them more in the zoo cages, get those close calls when Nazi soldiers walked through the zoo. There wasn't as much of that as I was expecting, but once I let go of that initial confusion and disappointment, I really did enjoy it. You get to hear a lot about the Zabinski family; you get charming stories about their animals; you hear about brave Jan being a part of the Underground; you see some of the Ghetto; you experience what Poland, and Warsaw specifically, went through during World War II; you applaud Antonina's actions when she is faced with taking care of her family. I recommend it to those that want a different perspective of World War II than you normally get in history class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zookeeper's Wife.