Rick Ludwig's Reviews > I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions

I'm Over All That by Shirley Maclaine

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: read-since-retirement, reviewed
Read from December 16 to 19, 2011

I enjoyed this most recent visit with the very honest, very outspoken Shirley Maclaine. She is not over her commitment to discovering herself and that is wonderful. The book is a variety of short and long chapters on various topics she is or isn't over. The book is alternately funny, touching, challenging, informative, and out-there. But, it wouldn't be Shirley any other way. She's a great talent, a compelling writer, and an honest observer of our world. She understands that not everyone will agree with everything she believes, but she honestly doesn't care. She puts herself out there and it's up to us to take what we wish from the buffet. I find myself wishing I could have a conversation with her, but I fear she'd find me too boring to bother with. That's okay. She's shared herself with me through her writings and for that I'm grateful.

When I finished some chapters, I said, "She nailed it."
When I finished other chapters, I said, "What a unique take on someone or something famous. It reeks of truth and gives me a new perspective on this person or place.
When I finished other chapters, I said, "A Little out there, but there are some real nuggets for further contemplation contained here."
When I finished a very few other chapters, I said," She's such a bright, inquiring individual; how can she believe this stuff?"
When I finished the book, I said,"God this person is interesting and knows how to relate what she sees, hears, feels, and thinks. She is aging with grace and energy in her own way."

I can see why you've made so many friends over the years, Ms. Maclaine. You take life seriously and really want to learn every day. Keep on telling us your tale. It's a good one and it makes us think about our own lives: where we've been; where we're going; and what we're deriving from the experience.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Over All That.