Myranda's Reviews > The Queen of Kentucky

The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Whitaker

Nov 05, 2011

bookshelves: on-my-bookshelf, signed
Read from December 22 to 23, 2011

Review originally posted on: www.myreadsda.com

The Queen of Kentucky is a book that I, as a Kentucky native myself, could relate to. Being able to relate to the characters and the surroundings really made me enjoy this book. The Queen of Kentucky is one of those books that has such a great message.

I live on a farm, in fact it used to be a tobacco farm, so picturing the setting was easy for me. Ricki Jo lives the more country lifestyle in Kentucky I learned a lot about the process of tobacco from the novel, along with a lot of other things!

As much as I liked this book their were a few flaws. I liked Ricki Jo as a main character. She had a perfect mix of humor and seriousness. The only problem I had was that she is still very young, both mentally and physically, But that was the point of the novel. Having this girl grow into who she is in life, and being comfortable with herself. I loved Luke! He reminded me of the perfect sweet country boy every girl dreams of! He was such a great guy, and he really cares for Ricki! He was my favorite character in this novel, Ricki Jo being a close second!

I loved the humor in this novel! I remember reading along at school and trying so hard to containing my laughter. Alecia really shines in writing funny scenes that really get the reader laughing. I think being funny comes naturally to her, because at her signing she had the whole crowd laughing!

This novel had such a great message or well messages, thats why I think I loved it so much! It's all about realizing who you are and excepting yourself! I think every freshman girl should read this book! It touches on everything that girls face going into high school, from relationships, to cheating, to self image, to teen drinking. I think The Queen of Kentucky is a perfect book for coming of age readers. It also touches of domestic violence.

The ending was adorable! One of my favorite quotes is at the ending, but I can't tell you all in fear of it being a huge spoiler! So you are just going to have to read it and find out! :D

Key Points
I loved Luke! He was the perfect country boy.
Their are so many great messages that are present in this novel, I feel that it may really help people.
The Queen of Kentucky is a cute and light contemporary read that will have you laughing out loud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Kentucky.

12/22/2011 page 198
52.0% "Okay! I can't stop reading this book :)"