Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .'s Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Jan 23, 13

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, favorites, action-adventure, fantasy, paranormal
Recommended for: fantasy, magic, urban fantasy, paranormal readers
Read from January 21 to 23, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

UPDATE:: 1/21/2013 - Doing a re-read in prep for tomorrows release of Ever After! YAY! Doing a serious happy dance! I've been waiting all year!

First Time Read Through: February 21-23, 2012:
A Perfect Blood is the tenth book in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It's been almost eight hours since I finished reading this one and I’m still reeling from how much I LOVED this book!!! This series just keeps getting better and better!

Warning: This review is full of spoils so read only if you don’t mind being spoiled!

Short Synopsis:
Rachel Morgan is back! Since we last saw her in Pale Demon, Rachel has been in hiding from her demon kin, living this side of the Ever-After, trying to have a “normal” life with her once secret demon blood now exposed to the world. However, a human hate group is killing witches and has plans to eradicate anyone non-human. Rachel finds herself thrown in the middle as she tries to help the IS and FIB find these murderers, but soon discovers their hidden agenda to use her blood as the catalyst of their non-human species cleansing methods.

Review:
I had been patiently awaiting the arrival of the next book of this fantastic series, A Perfect Blood. And believe me, I wasn’t disappointed! Whereas the explosive Pale Demon was a fast paced, adventurous thrill ride, A Perfect Blood was a bit slower, less adventuresome but just as amazing, in a different way. We see a different Rachel in this book. She’s less quick to jump head first into a situation but still contains her spontaneity. She’s more introspective and a bit hesitant. I think the things that happened to her in the previous book really took its toll and she’s more cautious, especially with knowing what she’s capable of. Though I liked this Rachel and I think it shows a profound maturity on her part, I did miss that quick and troublesome action she always threw herself in, in previous books. I also think that her time away from her powers has left her a bit crippled. She didn’t seem as strong in this book, but I think that was because she was still undecided about who she wanted to be and how far she was willing to go to be that person. She still has her quick mindedness, a funny and sarcastic streak a mile long and trouble still seems to find her no matter where she is, and that’s why we love her so much!

Trent is back in this book and he and Rachel are trying to find common ground after their previous adventures. He’s still helping her deal with her demon issues and trying to keep her safe from the Ever-After with the Elven magical bracelet of silver he made for her that keeps her disconnected from the collective, but he’s also trying to help her find herself and show her that who she is isn’t someone she needs to hide from. I LOVED the Trent and Rachel interaction during this story. It looks like they are really trying to find out who they are as individuals as well as who and what they can be as friends. A genuine trust has grown between them and I think that’s a wonderful thing. There even appears to be a growing romance between them that neither seem to be aware of, at least not consciously. I LOVE that! Weather they ever act on it remains to be seen!

We also got to see Ceri with her daughter Ray as well as Trent with Lucy. They’ve all become a happy little family of sorts and seeing Trent as a doting father really put him in a different light for me. I have always liked Trent, even when he and Rachel were at their worst of odds, but I saw a shift in him during Pale Demon and it was nice seeing a more evolved character in A Perfect Blood. His bad boy act is slowly taking a back seat to his adventurous side and he took action in this book which was awesome!!!

We didn’t get a lot of Al this time. In fact, he makes a guest appearance only twice, so that was kind of a letdown. I really enjoy seeing Rachel in the Ever-After. And Al is one of my favorite characters! He’s colorful and has such charisma that he literally comes alive off the pages! He’s so much fun to read! As much as I love Rachel’s adventures in the city and in the Hollows, I really love it when she interacts with her demon kin in the Ever-After. There’s so much world building the author has done to bring that part of the story to life, you just can’t help but love reading more about it!

We also find that Ivy and Jenks are living their lives and moving forward as characters, which is terrific. Jenks in particular has some interesting interactions that leave you wondering where that will end up. We also get a few new characters this go around. Nina, a low level living vamp is playing meat suit to the new head IS honcho who seems to really like staying in the basement. He’s a mysterious master vamp who is intriguing yet has a familiar air about him. He seems to be very interested in Rachel and that’s never a good thing. I hope we find out more about him in the next book. There’s also this human hate group mixed into the story and I don’t think we’ve seen the last of them!

Conclusion:
This book was a terrific read. Not as heavy in the action or even the drama as previous books but a necessary step towards what’s next in the Rachel Morgan story. Everyone should read this series!!! The Hollows is my absolute most favorite series in the Fantasy/Urban Fantasy genre. I just can't say enough about how much I adore Kim Harrison's writing! She gives so much in each and every book! She knows how to write perfect action, perfect drama and she's totally one with the funny! She knows how to pull you into her stories and make you feel like you’re one of the characters!

From what I've read, there are only two to three more book left before this series ends and I KNOW, that last book will be bitter sweet! I can't imagine not patiently awaiting the arrival of her next book. I've been reading this series since it came out and knowing we are so close to the end is very sad. But Im excited for her next book and whatever comes after this series. Kim Harrison has many many faithful fans, and I’m proud to count myself among them! This series also has the potential of becoming a tv show on the CW. I’m really excited about this and hope they do the books justice! This is great news for the author and I wish her all the luck in the world!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia When Rachel brushed his face. . . *quiver*

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Melissa wrote: "When Rachel brushed his face. . . *quiver*"

Oh yes! Love it when Rachel and Trent are getting along and love it when they let their emotions shine through their built up walls.