Nicole's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Jul 19, 2014

bookshelves: read-more-than-once, magic-slingers

Have also read the British edition (...Philosopher's Stone) around 2002, when someone loaned it to me. There's not much difference, of course--just a few terms and spellings and a lack of illustrations.
Harry Potter is not just for kids. I was quickly drawn in by the tone of the narrative and hooked by the whole story, eager to read more. Rowling has a fabulous imagination and a true gift for character development and world building. She mixes high stakes, humour, and quirky little details well.
I’ve always had a soft spot for mistreated but good-hearted orphans, so I was immediately sympathetic to Harry’s plight. I’d want to adopt him if he were real. The most wonderful thing about Harry is his very strong moral compass.
There’s a charm to Ron’s good-natured cluelessness; but I have to admit that it took some time before I could like Hermione. I realized after some thought that it’s because she has some of the same irritating traits I do. I quickly became fond of several other characters, as well: McGonagall, Neville, Hagrid, Dumbledore, and Fred and George Weasley.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Quotes Nicole Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”