Heather Bokon's Reviews > Already Home

Already Home by Susan Mallery

Nov 05, 2011

Read in November, 2011

Another good one fro Susan Mallery. I got this one from the library, but I liked it enough to buy it for my Kindle when I was done.

Jenna has just moved back to her hometown after a divorce. A former chef, she's decided to start a new chapter in her life, and impulsively buys a kitchen store. It's quickly apparent that she has no idea how to run a store of any kind, but thankfully she has a great new employee named Violet, and her own adoptive mom, Beth, who can help. Just as things are starting to run smoothly, her birth parents show up out of nowhere. They're both hippies, Sereity and Tom (short for Atomic) who had planned to name her Butterfly.

This book was great. Once again, Susan Mallery has created characters that I really like and care about. When things weren't going well for Jenna in the beginning, I felt so bad for her. She was trying so hard and just couldn't seem to get it right. The supporting characters were fantastic, too. Poor Violet, who just couldn't seem to give herself a break. I hope that she and the budding romance she had at the end of the story get their own book some time. I found myself rolling my eyes with Jenna and Beth every time Serenity mentioned her connection with the universe.

The story of the birth parents and the adoptive parents really struck a chord with me. Being involved in an adoption myself, I knew how everyone involved was feeling, and I ached for all of them, especially Jenna, who felt so stuck in the middle.

The only part that made me pause a little was the description of the illness of one of the characters. Having watched someone very close to me battle that exact disease, some of it struck me as unrealistic. However, I will say that I've had one experience with it, and I doubt it's the same for everyone. There was enough of it that was right to make me feel awful for everyone involved.

One thing I will note, though - this is definitely more women's fiction than romance. There was some romance involved in this book, but it's definitely not the focus of the book. Susan Mallery is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, and I'm currently hunting down as much of her backlist and current books as I can to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Already Home.