Martin's Reviews > Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0 by Randolph Lalonde

Nov 09, 11

Read from November 05 to 09, 2011

I found this book after reading "The Phoenix Conspiracy" and desperately wanting to find another book to try and satisfy my new found hunger for space operas.
It was free from Amazon for Kindle and so I felt I couldn't go wrong. If I didn't like it then I could simply delete it and move on with nothing gained, nothing lost.

I started the book a bit disappointed to be honest. The battle you are thrown into doesn't seem to flow very well, but I put this down to the fact that you know none of the characters. I always find getting to know who is who a fun learning experience when reading a book but here that was just getting in the way of the story. However once the story truly got going it never stopped.

All characters are extremely likable, especially the main character; (Captain) Jonas and he is supported nicely by all crew and additional characters that are introduced throughout the book. It's rare that I feel a slight attachment to all key characters of the story and I was easily putting myself in the same room as everyone I was reading about. I truly was in the story.

The love interests in the story felt right, unlike in The Phoenix Conspiracy; in which they felt forced and out of place, here they provided some basic character development that allowed everyone to feel more human.
Speaking of human I liked the fact that every single character we came across in the story wasn't introduced as some far out there alien, lizard (or some other animal) hybrid that seems to be the way most space stories go.

I liked the flow of the story, with there never being too much going on yet never being a lull that bored. From beginning to end I was drawn in. I was worried at times of great peril and happy at times of happiness etc.

The ending really struck me. I actually sat there just staring at the page for awhile.

Would defiantly recommend this book and I reckon I will find myself checking out the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0.