Kathrina's Reviews > The Prison Library Primer: A Program for the Twenty-First Century

The Prison Library Primer by Brenda Vogel

Dec 29, 12

bookshelves: for-girls-who-wear-glasses, lock-up
Read from November 07, 2011 to December 28, 2012

For the three or four people left in the world who actually give a damn about prison libraries, this is required reading. No other book exists that so comprehensively covers almost every aspect of managing this specific kind of library service (unfortunately, Vogel does not cover facilitating book groups, but she's put enough on her plate). Vogel was a leader in prison library service, and it is a tragedy that she died recently. The nation is waiting (most folks don't realize they're waiting, but they are) for a new leader in the field. This will be their primer, a first step in the improvements of both prisons (service for the incarcerated and the communities to which they will someday return) and libraries (service to those preparing to provide information management and access to ALL populations, including the under-served). I've read every page of this book, and some chapters several times, and I will continue to refer to it throughout my studies.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prison Library Primer.