529_Gary's Reviews > 10,000 Dresses

10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: 1-mc

Bailey is a young boy who dreams about wearing beautiful dresses. Bailey dreams of all the beautiful dresses that he can wear. One day he befriends a girl who is a dress maker and she makes beautiful dresses for him to wear. Bailey refers to himself as a girl, while his family refers to him as a boy.

I think that this book is good for children to identify with different types of genders. This book would be useful for a male child who is struggling with identity and gender issues. I don't think that it would work as well with a female child who is struggling with identity and gender issues. This book reminds me of a male student who would wear head bands. The mother didn't have any issues with this. Oddly, the male students in the class didn't have any issues either but the female students did. Perhaps this book would work best for the child by having an adult read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10,000 Dresses.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Hoch I tried getting this book but my library did not have it. It sounds interesting, based on your review. I know there are a few books now on this topic.

message 2: by 528_Mary F. (new)

528_Mary F. I also tried to get this book and couldn't. I think it would be a great book for a child with gender issues.

528_Tracy I also read this book. While Bailey makes a friend in the end, it is sad the way his family rejects him for who he is and keeps telling him he is wrong. This is a picture book that could work with high school students when discussing gender issues as well.

528_Tracy This book was somewhat similar to "My Princess Boy", about the boy who liked to dress like a princess. Except in that book, his family clearly embraced him and who he was and there seemed to be a stronger anti-bullying message.