Lisa Lewis's Reviews > The Invisible Circus

The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan

F_50x66
Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: just-plain-novels

After reading "A visit from the goon squad", I was excited to read more of author Egan. I decided to start at the beginning with this, her first novel. A nuanced tale of a young woman who is stuck in life, I found the protagonist a little immature and frustrating at times, but that made sense considering her situation. At eighteen, she is trying to come to terms with the death by suicide of her adored older sister.
The book is a bit indulgent, especially in the chapter-long description of an LSD experience in Paris, and the almost-chapter-long description of a sexually obsessive relationship the main character has with her sister's former boyfriend for a brief time. I didn't always think the characters behaved in a true-to-life way, and that annoys me because it makes me stop and have to work to suspend disbelief and get back into the story. But overall, the story was interesting and worth reading. It is easy to see Egan's promise as a writer in this book, though "goon squad" was far better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Circus.