Traci's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Nov 05, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from December 09 to 11, 2011

I picked up The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms without expectations. I knew nothing about the book, it's plot, or it's author. But I quickly fell in love. The uniqueness of the world. The beautiful prose. I felt as though I was in a dream that I did not want to wake from.

Then The Broken Kingdoms came out. And I did have expectations that I hoped would not be dashed. There are few things worse than falling in love with a debut book only to fall out of love with a second. But even though I did not think it possible it exceeded my very high expectations.

And now The Kingdom of Gods.....
There is some disappointment. There is something missing here. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the narrator is male here. Or that he is a god. I do know that to me it was missing that lyrical prose of the first two.

At heart, whether it was meant or not, the first two books are romances. As is this one. But especially in the first chapters it is uncomfortable to accept a romance between a child god and two mortal children. Is Sieh a child or not? To me the first steps of seduction, not that it goes beyond friendship at this early stage, came across as predatory and more than a little creepy. And I never connected with the couplings here like I did before. Although I came close in the second half.

But after the first section things started to kick in for me. Not quite as good as the previous two but not bad either. And a very fitting end for Sieh.

And a special thanks for Ahad and Glee. I loved this pairing and could have gone for a seperate book of these characters.

And also for the extra story in the back. Oree and Itempas are still my favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.

message 1: by Viv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Viv JM Be interested to see what you think of this...I didn't think I would like it as much as the others at first but ended up loving it!

Traci I'm about midway now. At first I wasn't feeling it but in the second part I really started to like it. Hopefully that feeling continues....:)