Mandy's Reviews > The Flowers Of Evil

The Flowers Of Evil by Charles Baudelaire

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, poetry, classics
Read from November 05 to December 17, 2011

If you haven't deduced it already, this book is a collection of poems. The funny thing is, there are several different versions of this book. It's hard to say what the precise collection is supposed to be (i.e., is it these several, or those?). That said, the version I read seemed to be oddly short as far as page count goes compared to other versions, and hence I'm not sure whether I have read all the poems meant to comprise "The Flowers of Evil."

But, on to the review of what I read.

I can see why this poetry is so appealing to present generations even though it was written over a hundred years ago. There is a lilting fluidity to it, a... I can't seem to think of the word I want at present. Suffice to say, I can see the Edgar Allen Poe influence that Baudelaire is reputed to have. However, I don't know that I see what depravity there is, even if the themes present in his poetry might have been considered a bit graphic at the time. But hey, so what Poe, right?

I would recommend this to anyone that likes reading poetry from the 19th century, particularly those that have a liking for writing that is mostly free verse, a little haunting, and contemplative. Baudelaire does all this, and does it well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flowers Of Evil.

11/19/2011 page 18
12/16/2011 page 35
50.0% "and I'm starting to see some themes in various poems that bring the book together as a whole."