Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Effortless

Effortless by S.C. Stephens

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: adult, drama-llama, contemporary-romance
Read from November 05 to 09, 2011

This book wasn't bad. No, really. I don't even mean this in a sarcastic way. Considering I had several gripes about the first book, I found myself not as frustrated with Effortless, the followup book to the whiplash-inducing drama of Thoughtless. My feelings were jumbled when it came to Thoughtless. I had some positives and even more negatives to say about the book, but had a hard time finding any sort of sympathy for Kiera and her selfishness.

There was a lot of character growth in Effortless. I can't say that all of the crying and jealousy was missing, because if this had happened, we wouldn't have been working with the same characters anymore. While people can and do change, I think that there will always be a part of our flaws at the core. It's how we choose to treat our flaws that guarantees success or failure. At least Kiera was a better person in this book, making me like her not completely hate her...at least a little bit. I still had my weakness for the flawed Kellan and so far, no one's sued me...yet.

Mistakes were still made, lies were still told, but this time around, our lead characters seemed to learn from their mistakes and at least make the effort to improve upon themselves.

Now, this is not technically a spoiler, but I'm going to hide the scene in spoiler tags because it is a bit racy. Click at your own risk. I laughed so hard when I read the scene, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. Content was edited/cut a bit because the scene was long.

(view spoiler)

18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Effortless.

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Do you need to read the first book before this?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yes. There's no way to know what's going on with this couple without reading the first book.

message 3: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Alright, thanks Stacia! Did you like the first book more or this one?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I had a love/hate with the first book. Kellan was a great character and I loved reading about him, but Kiera was a whiny, lying, brat who cried non-stop.

The second book felt a lot more mature and the story wasn't so back-and-forth with drama and cheating.

message 5: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Oh man, I don't know if I can deal with that kind of person....but to get to the second, I guess I'll have to! Thanks for introducing this novel to me. The passage that you showed us was hilarious!

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Ha! Just saw you wrote about the Denver Omelette scene.....priceless!

Stacia (the 2010 club) That scene had me laughing out loud in bed and I woke up my husband. It went from steamy to hilarious almost instantly.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog haha same! I off to America tomorrow for the first time...please tell me there is an actual thing called a Denver Omelette 'cause if there is, I'm ordering one :-)
Great scene, I loved it~!

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 20, 2011 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Where are you headed? Hopefully it's a trip for fun.

Yes, the Denver Omelette does exist. I live about an hour from Denver now, but used to eat them when I lived in California. :)

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog this is my first trip to the States. Been a long time planning and yep, definitely for fun. Headed to Hawaii, LA, Vegas, San Francisco, Vancouver, Whistler then NY. Going to be exhausting but so much fun. OMG!!! I am ordering a Denver omelette in Los Angeles for sure hahaha.
Dreading the plane trip for Aus, but am reading a book at the moment that will keep me quiet.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh nice! You're hitting up a lot of great spots. I've never been to Hawaii, but I've always wanted to go. I lived near San Francisco for most of my life, and I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver, so those places are dear to me.

I like living in Colorado, but have to go back to Cali every so often to visit because my family is there.

Maybe someday I'll make it out to your part of the world. I've only really been to mostly North American countries, the Caribbean and Japan.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was so funny!

Tennille lol haven't got to this scene yet, but it was hilarious!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Even though the book wasn't one of my favorites, that scene alone made it worth the read.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Carolyn wrote: "That spoiler scene was hilarious. It makes me want to pick up Effortless just for that. LOL"

Haha! Caroline. I've re-read Effortless and that scene never gets old

Stacia (the 2010 club) It never will!

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Stacia *the pusher wrote: "It never will!"

nope!

Mary Beth That scene made me laugh so loud and unexpectedly, that I almost woke everyone in the house up.

edzkie♥§*.*§♥ im having second thought on reading the second book since im almost done with the first but after reading the spoiler that got SO MUCH of my interest... kellan, I love his wit, homour & i love all the guy in the band!!!! i still hate kiera up to this point but hopefully she became bearable on this one!:)

Stacia (the 2010 club) That really is a fun scene.

Book 2 didn't make me want to throw my reader with rage the way the first book did so maybe you'll like it better. At least there's Kellan, right?

MB, I never saw your comment (big surprise with GR). I get the same way when I read in bed and there's a funny scene. I tend to wake others up.

edzkie♥§*.*§♥ im crossing my fingers for book 2... im 90% done with thoughtless but i still hate kiera...until the end she cant still make a choice...i really want to hit her (thank God Denny grant my wish!)...i understand kellan more now but im still holding my liking for him!!hahaha..but he makes reading bearable..:))

message 24: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Stacia

message 25: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Stacia....thanks for the review it was great! I loved that scene in the book, it's the best!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Still one of my favorites. :)

Rhonda The only reason i read this book is cus i loooooooooooooooooooooooove griffin and anna lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wish they'd gotten their own spin-off book instead. I'm not sure why their story was rushed. Ah well. :(

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ **is on vaction..c ya next week!!** well she is writing TL3 so im sure they will be in that a lot.

message 30: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam That scene completely cracked me up as well!

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was unexpected, which made it that much more amusing.

message 32: by Marion (new)

Marion Croslydon I loved the book but your rendition of the sexting is awesome!

message 33: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review,Stacia!!I think I'll stay away!!:)

Kristina  Piazza Aaahhh the spoiler was removed and I am dying to know what is was!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Really? I clicked on it and it's still showing on my screen.

message 36: by Dayatara (new) - added it

Dayatara Stacia, does this book end with a cliffhanger? I hate cliffhangers! I was going to start Thoughtless until I noticed the 3rd book in this series hasn't been published.

Stacia (the 2010 club) As far as I can remember, there is no cliffhanger. I think book 3 was planned after the fact.

message 38: by Dayatara (new) - added it

Dayatara Ok, great! Thanks Stacia!

Jeanine You may have convinced me to read this... I still am not sure. Kiera bothers me SO bad, but that scene above has me cracking up ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I was not a big fan of the first, but this one was a little bit better. However, I'm nervous to read the third. My tolerance for idiocy has significantly lowered over the past year.

Jeanine I hear you on that one. Kiera is as idiotic as they come. I still am on the fence about reading this. If I didn't love Kellan so much than it would be a definite no.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Kellan was the star, for sure.

Michelle Loved your review and the Denver omelette scene. I do agree this book is more tolerable than the first. In someways, I wish I just read Effortless from the start and skipped Thoughtless. Could not stand Keira in the first one, selfish brat.

Stacia (the 2010 club) She was horrible, wasn't she?

Thanks, btw. :)