Emery Lee's Reviews > The Sometime Bride

The Sometime Bride by Blair Bancroft

Dec 07, 11

Read from November 16 to December 06, 2011

According to the author:

"This is the book where I inadvertently broke all the rules of romance. But when I read it again, more than 15 years after I wrote it and 11 years since its first publication, I discovered The Sometime Bride still qualified as the best book I ever wrote."

It's also one of the best I've read this year! Ms. Bancroft was a new author to me and this book was a great place to start. The e-book is available for only $1.49 at Amazon)

MY REVIEW:

I was engaged in this story from page one with the vivid portrayal of the French invasion of Portugal portrayed through the eyes of the young female protagonist,Catherine "Catarina" Audley.
The author's prose is elegant and impeccably incorporates the history of the Napoleonic Wars, the excitment of espionage, and a riveting romance with toe curling sexual tension. While both the h/h are strong and appealing, the hero of the story has the added cache of being cloaked in mystery. There are also a number of plots twists that keep the story moving briskly while Cat and Blas struggle against impossible odds. (Saying anything more would be plot spoiling). Suffice to say I was riveted to this truly beautiful love story with an emotional depth far beyond what I had expected.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR LOVERS OF ROMANTIC HISTORICAL FICTION.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sometime Bride.

12/02/2011
12/04/2011
10.0% "A very promising beginning. I was engaged in this story from page one. The characters are appealing and the author's prose is elegant."
12/05/2011
30.0% "So far this book is fabulous! Vivid portrayal of the French invasion/occupation of Portugal portrayed through the eyes of the young female protagonist, the excitment of espionage and a riveting romance with toe curling sexual tension. Loving it!"
show 1 hidden update…