Jennifer's Reviews > Breaking Point

Breaking Point by Pamela Clare

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: romance
Read in November, 2011

The hero and heroine were great, the plot was really fun and the sex was really steamy. I would've given this book five stars, but for a couple things.
1) The sex was hot, but there was one scene in the desert where I thought, "Really? Even with the scorpions, the tarantulas, that real bad guys, the rattlesnakes, the bobcats, and random bad guys, that's what they do right now?" The sex seemed so out of place, I told my husband about it and every time I made a noise, he asked if they were having sex on a cactus now.
2) What does Pamela Clare have against condoms?
3) Apparently, in Pamela Clare land, there are no women in my generation who decide not to have kids. This is the second time I've read one of her books and thought, "well, the last chapter with all the kids came out of nowhere." The sudden "I want babies and don't want to work anymore," seems to come out of nowhere. I believe Kat from the Naked Edge. That ground work had been laid. But Natalie went from working to housewife with no thought at all. Maybe it was there and edited out, but I want that thought process back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Point.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie I felt the same way about that particular sex scene, only I didn't say it nearly as well in my review!

Jennifer It was so strange and out of place. As soon as they entered the desert, I expected a break from the sex. Nope. Sex and scorpions -- a winning combination.

Carrie I think the worse sex scene I read along those lines was in Nina Bruhns' book, Shoot to Thrill. The premise of the story was so ridiculous anyway. From my review:
And then there was the yo-yo heroine and the cringe-worthy scenes, like the time Kick had been hiding under the "burning sand" for three hours, and then had sex with Rainie right afterward. Limited water rations, no washing up for either of them ~ just dirty, sandy hands in places dirty, sandy hands don't belong.

Jennifer Okay. Just put it on hold because your review and Jane's review were so different.

message 5: by Carrie (last edited Nov 05, 2011 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie Edited to say-

Okay scratch that. I thought you were talking about a different Jane. ;-)

Interesting how people disagree. I did a compare books with you and we have a lot of agreement, but where we diverge, we do so dramatically, like with Stranger in my Arms. ;-) It was a recent DNF for me.

Dabney I wondered that too about the women in this series. They all become moms or mom-wanna be's. I wonder if that's Pamela Clare's viewpoint or one that publishers think romance readers crave. It goes along with all these horrid epilogues I've been reading in historical romance where readers are explicitly told the couple had children and, of course, still has a smoking sex life.

Jennifer I like the Pamela Clare books (except Unlawful Contact), but I'm now afraid to read the last chapter. I'm not again the becoming moms or mom-wanna-bes, but there is no integration for it in the regular story. Besides being unrealistic for EVERY HEROINE. They're all about my age and lots of women in my generation are choosing not to have children.

Carrie It seems to me you could just leave it out completely. Why address whether the couple wants kids or not. Even if they do, many couples wait a long time. My brother-in-law and his wife waited until they were 38 or so because they were having fun traveling and such.

But Dabney might be right. It seems a lot of romance readers want to hear about babies and children, as though that guarantees a happy ever after. Maybe publishers push authors to include a babylogue.

Jennifer I'd rather they just left it out and I could imagine them with 10 kids or on a sailboat in Hawaii with a hamster as I choose.

Dabney I'm with you, Jennifer. I think an epilogue is, in general, poor writing. I try and imagine the epilogue to "Gone with the Wind" (Rhett never changes the nappies.) or to "Flowers from the Storm" (The children are raised in a tolerant two religion family.)and I just want to snort.

Carrie I'm not much for epilogues, period. They almost always come off trite and sappy. It's especially unappealing when it's tacked on to the end of a gritty suspense thriller because the tone invariably changes from tense action to hearts, flowers and fat baby angels. Blech.

Jennifer Or the epilogue from Harry Potter. Terrible.

Carrie Ouch. Yeah, like that one. And like the epilogue for Dream Man. Great book, though.

I did like the epilogue (or it might have just been the denouement~ I listened to it on audio so i can't remember) for Nobody's Baby But Mine by SEP. I don't remember it exactly, but I remember thinking that the epilogue/last chapter was the reason so many people were left with positive feelings about that book. It gets great reviews but has a lot of mostly unlikeable characters in it.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I actually love the epilogue to the last Harry Potter book. It's the author going, "See? Look at this? I'm done. Got it? It's over. Potter goes bye-bye now."

And I'm like, "Thank you! I love you, but I can't take any more of this! Just make it stop! Make it all better now!"

But as for the epilogues for the I-Team series, I hate them all so far. I think I'll keep reading the series (I've only read the first three) but I'll skip the epilogues from now on. It's not like they add anything to the story.

Jennifer You have a nicer version of the Harry Potter epilogue. I read it as "fanfic authors, you can't write anything else, because this is the definitive version."