Zaynab Modaykhan's Reviews > The New House

The New House by Roderick Hunt

F 50x66
Nov 05, 2011

In my placement I am in a year 3 class and I have been working closely with the lower achieving group, who all seem to love reading Oxford Reading Tree books. They all seem very familiar with the same characters Biff, Wilma, Chip and the gang and I sensed that they like the consistency of the characters who go on different adventures.
The books are of different levels and I noticed that these books are particularly useful for EAL learners due to the fact that high frequency words are repeated through out the stories, especially the easier books with one sentence per page. The illustrations are very colourful and I noticed from my observations that children like to look at the pictures to gain visual cue of who the characters are and what they are doing.

This is just one of the stories I have come across whilst working beside the lower ability group. Its a short story about the gang who move house. A big van comes and the gang are packing their things into the van. Chip put his toys in the van and mum and dad comment about the quantity of things they have. The van drives off to their new house, and they realise they need to unpack all the things all over again.
Its quite a short story, yet I noticed that the children in that group really enjoy reading the same stories again and again.
I think these books are a great start for children in EYFS and EAL learners.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New House.