Kate's Reviews > Bright Shiny Morning

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

F_50x66
May 28, 08

Read in May, 2008

I am NOT just giving this book 5 stars to get back at the spiteful reviewers on Amazon (who didn't even read the book!) The integrity they lack- giving a book you haven't read 1 star. In my mind, it goes to show how many people think what Oprah thinks just because she thinks it. For more background on my review, I read "A Million Little Pieces" BEFORE it was revealed that it was not completely factual. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although I didn't base my own rehabilitation solely on his writing (I don't do drugs thankfully) I felt it was a book that had a lot of merit. And, he tried first to sell it as fiction and was convinced by publishers to make it a memoir- give the guy a break.

Since, I enjoyed his writing and because I read the reviews of people who read this latest offering (it may have originally been his first unpublished novel???), I decided to read it. I confess than, the reviewers- who described the book as a novel with Los Angeles (the city) as the main character, may have guided my reading/interpretation.

Excellent book. I can't think of a book that better describes a city - through facts, trivia, even stereotypical "LA" characters (that he gives interesting authentic voices). I wonder how actual residents of Los Angeles will receive this book versus people like me who can only guess what life there is really like.

Frey has a very intimate (at times crass), often manic writing voice that could certainly be tiresome to read too frequently but it seems to be a great voice for Los Angeles. I highly recommend the book and encourage those who feel Oprah needs to get over herself to give this guy another chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Shiny Morning.