Dabny W.'s Reviews > Sundial

Sundial by C.F. Fruzzetti

F_50x66
Nov 07, 11

Read in November, 2011

Hey girls! This relationship driven novel is amazing because a girl gets to play it RIGHT for once. What would you do if the guy everyone was crushing on tried to give you a ride home or threw a party just so you would come? Maybe not what you would expect if you were Whitney Forbes! If more of us were like Whitney we would figure out how to have a lot fewer broken hearts and how to be in control of our own destiny. At the very least, you have found lead characters you can respect and admire.

The powerful world these characters dwell is alluring. They have money, cars, boats and designer clothes at their fingertips and spin through a cinematic landscape. Yet Whitney is unimpressed. The genius of this book is that her focus is never blinded by the materialism (in fact she seems sickened by it and says as much) because she wants something real. The tiny details of the setting make it authentic and dazzling and teach you NOT to settle for the superficial box checks. What a great message for all who chase the most popular guy in school—there had better be more than just the image because if you settle for glamour you have settled for nothing at all!

The execution of Sundial is not typical of a YA start. The authors give quality relationship building and background upfront because it drives the plot and makes it believable when one character must risk it all for the other. It is unconventional in others ways as I felt it expected more from the reader than to blitz through it in search of a cheesy, spoon-fed rush because many aspects of the book are sophisticated and intellectual. If you race through it, you will miss clues and many of its unpredictable twists and turns. The foundation of this story is solid and the scientific bent made it plausible.

The slow burn and smoldering heat of the beginning blazes to a white-hot ending and this reminded me of a more literary approach to a clever and memorable adventure. This book is original and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cultivated take on paranormal romance and suspense. Bonus that it dares to take on how to sort out the difference between a fleeting crush and the real deal! Read it and learn something!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sundial.