Shellby's Reviews > Spell Bound

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: demons, faerie, fantasy, fiction, kindle, magic, romance, supernatural, werewolves, vampires, witches, young-adult
Read from March 13 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

May contain some spoilers or hint at spoilers.

I’m going to be honest “Hex Hall” was a series that I had no intentions on starting. Out of all the paranormal characters there are witches are my least favorite ones. So, books about them tend to not be my first reading choice. (Go figure right? I’m the chick who loves magical girls from Japan but I can’t get with witches? Backwards.) However, I tried the first book and I liked it. Sophie turned out not to actually be a witch so that was a minor plus. The story was strong, and the characters were charming and funny. That trend continued throughout the second book. However, Spell Bound the third and final installment of the Hex Hall series dropped my fan-girl mode completely.

When we start off the book takes you right where we left Sophie in “Demon Glass”. Powerless, running from the megalomaniac Lara, and pretty much at a loss on what to do. I appreciate that Rachel went straight to the action from the last book with no unnecessary recaps or uncounted for time sequences. (Although she does make up for that last one later on in the book.) We get to see some pretty nice revelations throughout the first few chapters and are reunited with the whole cast.

After that things start to feel rushed. I don’t know if I’m the only one who felt this way but Spell Bound was pretty short. In fact if it wasn’t for me having to go to work while I was reading this I’m sure I could have finished this whole book within a few hours. The scenes where you were meant to feel some kind of overwhelming emotion just fell flat. Take for instance the abuse Archer suffered at the hands of the other students I’m sure I was meant to be appalled and even more gun-hoe for the Casanoff’s to be ousted in some way. However, I just kept asking what is the point of this.

The whole ending to the book was fast and it seemed way too easy for Sophie to have saved everyone and somehow came up with a perfect solution to everything without actually even trying. I don’t even want to mention poor Cal who not only got some pretty backhanded treatment in this book, but was also treated to an unfair ending. An ending that also felt rushed and was pretty pointless.
All in all this entire book was a big disappointment for me. I finished it for the sake of finishing it and I believe Rachel finished it for the sake of finishing it as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spell Bound.

03/13/2012