Rosanne's Reviews > You: A Novel

You by Joanna Briscoe

Nov 05, 11

Read in November, 2011

I can see by the other reviews listed here that I am the only one that gave You a 5 star rating. Why? Simple answer is "I loved it".

I have to agree with many that at the beginning it was extremely confusing with the changing time frames in the chapters. However, once it became clear to me how it was going to progress; I got caught up in the characters and their saga.

Cecilia's childhood was spent living a bohemian lifestyle that was at times wild and crazy. Dora, her mother, was the bread winner of the family working at a nearby progressive school. Cecilia was a pupil in this same school and it is there that she met and feel in love with her English teacher, James Dahl. An illicit affair between student and teacher eventually ends with Cecila becoming pregnant. She give her love child up for adoption and there the story truly starts to evolve. This adoption haunts Cecilia her entire life. As fate would have it; she returns to her childhood home which brings her back to her old life and impacts her present life.

The story and it's sub plots were fantastic stories that kept me intrigued right to the very last page. Since I was so skeptical at the very beginning; I was caught off guard by the power of You. Maybe for this reason alone is why I have rated it with 5 stars. I love to be challenged by a book and You presented several challenges for me. I sometimes became confused by the wording and several times I re-read pages because I felt like I was missing something. It all came together in the end although not every last piece of the tale is tied up in a pretty bow. I liked the challenge it presents to figure out what happens next.

I highly recommend You and I am so pleased to have gotten an early reader's opportunity to read something I probably would not have chosen otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You.