Stacey Jo's Reviews > The Attorney

The Attorney by Carolyn LeVine Topol

1950408
Nov 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 3-mm-i-own, mm-contemporary, mm-businessmen-workplace-c, series-part-of
Read on November 07, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is the second in The Male Room series and we see a glimpse of Jeff and Craig from the first book. This one features Sam Solomon and Chris Kelly. Sam is an attorney, a self professed workaholic who only goal is to win. He's a true alpha male. Chris Kelly, who also likes to be in control, is a special ed teacher. Both meet on a blind date as a set up through Jeff and Craigs hugely successful online gay dating service, The Male Room.

Jeff actually set the date up for them and at first Sam is very put out when he first sees Chris because of all the choices, Chris was his last choice because they are both alpha males, or "tops". Sam is very much against being a bottom but we learn why. He has good reasons. Chris, being the sweet guy that he is, compromises for Sam's sake.

Sam is very much a jerk, in my opinion, for the first part of the book. He treats Chris nice, but you know his thoughts toward Chris, and they aren't very nice. He's arrogant and a player and it shows. But he's also tired of it, and secretly longs for a great guy that he can fall in love with and come home to every day, for the rest of his life.

Chris is just an absolute sweetheart. I can't think of anything negative that I found about him. He's good looking, works with handicapped kids and kids with learning disabilities, and he's kind and understand. Despite being an alpha and a "top" like Sam, he is able to see that Sam has issues and has the patience to work with Sam to help him through those issues. I think the fact that he's a special ed teacher is what makes the difference.

By the end, Sam redeemed himself, thanks to Chris. Of course, the author had to make Sam a real jerk in order to get the point across. The point of the book is that a total jerk meets his perfect match who challenges him and helps him through his issues to make him see that he can be a better person. In the end, we get a really good happily ever after.

All of that is great and the book is right at a hundred pages so it can be read in one sitting, which is a plus if you are short on time or want a quick read. There were a few grammar and editing issues that I came across but they were minor. The story lines were a bit predictable. I was able to guess what was going to happen next. Also, some of the lines and things Sam and Chris said were just a hair shy of being cheesy at times. Despite those few things, it was still a good story and I enjoyed reading it. I would recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Attorney.