Lego Robot Ninja's Reviews > Sword of the Rightful King

Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy, myths, fiction
Read in October, 2011

LRN: I'm giving this three stars. It was pretty good.

Mum: Didn't you meet Jane Yolen?

LRN: Yes. I met Yolen. I've also got another book from her.

Mum: She's was really nice, right?

LRN: She autographed my book.

Mum: That's cool. So what's this book about?

LRN: Arthur is trying to get his people to love him after he's newly crowned; and Merlin tries to help him by placing a sword into a slab of stone that only Aurthur can withdraw.

You should put the thing with the period and the thing over here. [I delete and replace the comma splice in the last sentence with a semicolon. This? Here? Yes, he says. Holy crod, right?]

Mum: Why does that help him?

LRN: He invites all the men in the kingdom to try to withdraw the sword. Not for spoilers, I'm not going to tell the rest.

Mum: Have you read any Arthur stories before?

LRN: Yes, like the Merlin Trilogy, which is also by Jane Yolen.

Mum: Did that one have a sword-in-the-stone sequence?

LRN: No. All Arthur stories are told different though.

Mum: Who would you recommend this to?

LRN: I would recommend it to someone who doesn't like pictures, because there are no pictures, but likes pictures in their mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of the Rightful King.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! This:
LRN: No. All Aurthur stories are told different though.

and this:

...from the mouth of babes.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Man, I spelled Arthur weird all the way through this. Wtf?

Yeah, I was trying to figure out if LRN knew that myths like Arthur had different tellings, because the sword in the stone was treated really differently here, but, I guess he does!