Patsy's Reviews > Odd Hours

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

May 28, 2008

it was ok
Read in May, 2008

I hate giving this book two stars, because I LOVE Odd Thomas. He is one of my favorite fictional characters. This novel was as well written as Koontz novel's usually are, with those wonderful turns of phrase ... it just didn't seem as pulled together. I thought at first it was an exercise in developing Odd's character further. But Odd is what he is. Finally, after completing the novel, I thought that perhaps there is a Part II coming on it's heels, because there was much unfinished business. "All things in their time," as the character Annamaria says. But clearly Koontz did not intend for us to understand all things in the time it took to read this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odd Hours.

04/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Edward (new)

Edward Sorry, but I disagree. Odd himself and the series went through several important steps in this novel. Keep in mind that it is intended as a seven-part epic.

1. He meets Annamaria, who becomes a major influence on him and a guide through his increasingly difficult journey.

2. His ability to make use of prophetic dreams and other psychic powers (besides seeing apparitions) matures. Precognition and "psychic magnetism" become increasingly important in future books. He also learns (by having no choice but to try his best or die) to take on multiple enemies and become more familiar with weapons (though he was obviously no coward in the earlier books). My point is that he is gaining skills, including the ability to live on the run, that will be essential as the story continues.

3. This book shows that Odd will have a role in life much more significant than amature psychic detective solving localized crimes; that he is on this earth to fulfill a great destiny. Odd Hours pulls the series out of the episodic paranormal mystery genre and into something more akin to epic fantasy in a modern setting, with a hero who has the needed powers and willingness to defeat great evil.